VicRoads Permit

About Club Permits

Financial membership of the Austin Healey owners club offers the opportunity to use the Vicroads Club Permit Scheme, enabling you to drive your Austin Healey for any purpose you wish other than commercial use or financial gain, for 45 or 90 days per annum. The scheme comes at a significant cost savings compared to full registration, plus 4.2% stamp duty is not applied. A number of insurance companies offer comprehensive insurance at a reduced rate.

There are also responsibilities attached, the key ones being :

  • Number plates and windscreen label must be correctly displayed.
  • The car must be maintained in a 'safe condition'.
  • A logbook must be carried in the car, and for every day the car is used, an entry must be made in the logbook before leaving the garaged address. (it is easy to forget to do this and police do conduct CPS logbook checks)
  • The permit holder must be a current financial member of the car club, ie you can't legally drive the car if club membership fees haven't been paid by the due date of 31st December.
  • The car cannot be used for the 'carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward'.
  • Permits are not transferrable so if you sell the vehicle you must notify VicRoads and the club immediately as well as destroy the label, logbook and remove the plates.

Penalties for failing to comply with the conditions of the permit may include significant fines, suspension or expulsion from the CPS and possibly deemed to be driving an unregistered vehicle and all the associated legal consequences. AHOC strongly recommends that all club permit holders familiarise themselves with the conditions of the permit. Full details of CPS are available at

Procedure to obtain a Club Permit

Click Here to go to the VicRoads website page detailing the procedure for obtaining a club permit. There are a few points to note :

  • Currently Brian Aitken is the AHOC signatory for the Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration form and Club Permit Application form. Brian is based in Frankston and is contactable on 03 8759 6845 or 0419 025 858 or
  • VicRoads require that the club keep dated COLOUR photographs of at least the front, driver's side, rear, driving position (with the driver's door open), chassis number and engine number. AHOC require that applicants provide these photos, preferably printed out no smaller than four photos per a4 sheet.

The photos should be at minimum be as per the samples below:

Many digital cameras have a date stamp function that can be turned on and off and most mobile phone cameras are capable of including a date stamp in the photo.

At the time of signing the Declaration and Application documents, AHOC will also require proof of ownership and certificate of roadworthiness (RWC). VicRoads will also require these documents.

For vehicles modified in excess of VSI 8 or VSI 33, a VASS approval certificate will also be required.

Once VicRoads have issued you with a permit, you MUST promptly notify AHOC of your permit details, particularly permit number and expiry date. Contact Brian Aitken on or 03 8759 6845 or 0419 025 858 .

Renewing your Permit

Step 1: VicRoads should mail you a renewal form and logbook several weeks before the existing permit expires.

Step 2: Verify your AHOC membership is current.

Step 3: Have renewal form signed by the AHOC. Currently the 'duly authorised representative' is Brian Aitken, 59 Sanders Road Frankston South 3199, contact 03 8759 6845 or 0419 025 858 or

Please consider that this is an entirely voluntary position and include a pre-addressed and stamped envelope for the return of the documents..

Step 4: Submit the signed renewal form to VicRoads and pay the renewal fee. This can be done at any VicRoads Customer Service Centre or by mailing the signed renewal to VicRoads with a cheque in payment of the fee, to VicRoads. Postal address is on the form.

Alternatively, the renewal fee can be paid on line via a "myVicRoads account - details are outlined on the renewal form.

Step 5: Apply the new window sticker to the vehicle and carry the new logbook in the vehicle.

Note : Permits not renewed within 3 months of expiry will be cancelled by VicRoads and a new permit application will be required which includes obtaining a new RWC etc!

Points to note

CPS plates are only manufactured in a maroon background with white characters and there is no choice of numbers. Age related plates and vanity plates cannot be used on the CPS.

Left hand drive vehicles more than 25 years old may participate in the scheme.

Some States or Territories do not recognize the CPS and require a permit from the registration and licensing authority in that State or Territory to legally drive in that State or Territory. It is strongly recommended that drivers of CPS vehicles check before driving interstate.

  • For cars built after 1948, a Certificate of Roadworthiness from a VicRoads Licensed Tester is now the only acceptable evidence of the 'safe for on-road use' requirement.
  • Applicants for new club permits will be required to provide proof of ownership.
  • Applicants for new club permits will be required to provide the club with dated photographs of the car.
  • Changes to and clarification of 'acceptable modifications'. Recognising that the Vehicle Modifications Guidelines document known as VSI8 is intended for modern cars, a version known as VSI33 specifically for vehicles on CPS has been issued and it defines modifications that can be made without engineering certification dependent on age category of the vehicle in question. In the 1949 to 1968 age category, the types of modifications that might be treated more leniently than previously are not commonly seen on AHOC eligible cars and there are many other types of modifications that are expected to require engineering certification the same as VSI8 which is the long standing CPS rule.
  • Introduction of a new permit category for modified vehicles requiring engineering certification. These will be 5 digits followed by M.

 To go to VicRoads website and apply for a CPS, renew a CPS or make changes to an existing CPS or obtain VicRoads forms,

Click Here to go to the VicRoads website.

Related pages

VicRoads Permit
Austin Healey Owners Club of Victoria Inc
23 Rosalie Street Springvale VIC 3171
Phone 0447 010 145
Manage your car club online with